Scientific Program Officer
The Mark Foundation for Cancer Research is seeking a full-time Scientific Program Officer, based in New York, NY. The primary responsibility of the Scientific Program Officer will be to oversee the grant portfolio of The Mark Foundation (including prospective projects) with a special focus on multi-investigator and multi-institutional programs. The ideal candidate is an individual who is exceptionally organized, detail-oriented, and independent, as well as someone who excels at getting things done. This role is well suited for a scientifically trained, project management savvy professional who derives satisfaction from working proactively with colleagues to create optimal frameworks and execute the fundamental tasks required for driving complex projects to successful fruition.
• Interface with Foundation scientific directors and project managers to plan, orchestrate, launch and manage calls for scientific grant proposals
• Draft grants administration documents, including guidelines for new award mechanisms, application forms, and reviewer evaluation forms
• Assist with customization and administration of off-the-shelf grants management software
• Collaborate with legal counsel to draft and edit grant-related agreements and provide support for the contract negotiation process
• Manage the end-to-end lifecycle of the Foundation’s grants through activities such as determining applicant eligibility, assisting in the application review process, and assessing progress of funded programs
• Help prepare external communications, including interpretation and repackaging of complex scientific information
• Create reports for the Scientific Advisory Committee and the Board of Directors
• Assist in the planning and management of scientifically focused events (e.g., workshops, symposia, Scientific Advisory Committee meetings)
• Travel as needed to meet with grantees and other Foundation partners (anticipated travel less than 10%)
• Master’s or Ph.D. in biology or closely related field
• Strong interest in administration of funding for medical and scientific research
• Familiarity with grantmaking and/or research administration in a university or non-profit setting
• Experience managing the overall planning, scheduling and coordination of R&D programs
• Experience managing partnerships and maintaining effective working relationships with research institutions and other philanthropic organizations
• Excellent communication and writing skills with demonstrated ability to communicate to both scientific and lay audiences
• Experience with grants administration software preferred.
• Exceptional project and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize competing deliverables and requests
About The Mark Foundation for Cancer Research
Based in New York City, The Mark Foundation for Cancer Research is a non-profit organization dedicated to accelerating cures for cancer by integrating discoveries in biology with innovative technology. Launched in 2017, The Mark Foundation pursues its mission by funding a global portfolio of groundbreaking research carried out by individual investigators, multi-investigator teams, and inter-institutional collaborations. Recognizing the obstacles that can prevent scientific advances from improving patient outcomes, The Mark Foundation maintains a nimble, high-impact approach to funding research that encompasses grants for basic and translational cancer research, as well as venture philanthropy investment in companies that bridge the gap between the bench and the bedside.
The Mark Foundation for Cancer Research is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse and comprehensive workforce based on merit and experience. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of sex, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and/or expression), pregnancy, race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion or similar philosophical beliefs, disability, marital and civil union status, age, genetic information, veteran status or any personal attribute or characteristic that is protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive compensation package with comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and 401k.
New York, NY