Scientific Program Manager
The Mark Foundation for Cancer Research seeks a highly motivated and organized Scientific Program Manager to coordinate and manage the Foundation’s portfolio of innovative cancer research projects. Reporting to the Vice President, Scientific Research, the successful candidate will be an experienced, detail-oriented project manager who is ready to apply those skills to advance multiple scientific programs within the Foundation. This position represents an exciting opportunity to work with creative, motivated scientists both within and external to the Foundation, and to have a positive impact by coordinating and managing the projects that will enable discoveries, platforms, and therapies with the potential to transform the lives of cancer patients.
Based in New York City, The Mark Foundation for Cancer Research is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that is dedicated to accelerating cures for cancer by integrating discoveries in biology with innovative technology. We fund a global portfolio of groundbreaking research carried out by individual investigators, multi-investigator teams, and inter-institutional collaborations.
- Work closely with Foundation scientific staff as well as with scientific and administrative personnel at partner organizations to understand project goals and deliverables and construct scientific plans tailored to meet those objectives
- Work closely with scientific teams at the Foundation and partner organizations to identify metrics of success for new projects and help incorporate into contracts
- Carefully track key scientific milestone dates and reporting deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously across various scientific programs
- Proactively identify issues and challenges within active projects, and engage appropriate personnel at the Foundation as well as partner organizations to address
- Collect and file scientific reports, distributing to relevant Foundation personnel
- Provide structured updates for active and completed projects, including keeping electronic records up to date and key stakeholders informed of progress and issues
- Liaise with project managers at the Foundation and partner institutions to coordinate project tracking, meeting scheduling, and action item follow up
- Plan, organize, and run meetings with internal and/or external participants to review scientific proposals and projects, and communicate key outcomes and action items
- Evaluate and optimize budgets for new projects, and report budget projections to Head of Operations and Finance
- Assist scientific program officers to draft grants administration documents, including guidelines for new programs, RFPs, application forms, and evaluation forms
- Assist with customization of new programs utilizing grants management software
- Assist in the planning and management of scientifically focused events (e.g., workshops, symposia, Scientific Advisory Committee meetings)
- Execute special projects as needed
- Travel as needed to meet with current and prospective grantees and other foundation partners (anticipated travel less than 25%)
- Master’s or doctoral degree in a scientific field
- Experience in an academic or industrial laboratory setting, with some experience in laboratory management preferred
- Experience managing the overall planning, scheduling, budgeting, and finance for research projects
- Experience managing partnerships and maintaining effective working relationships between organizations
- Exceptional project and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize competing requests
- Familiarity with grantmaking and/or research administration in a university grants administration or tech transfer office, or another non-profit setting, is preferred
- Research experience in cancer biology is preferred
- PMP certification is preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Policy
The Mark Foundation for Cancer Research is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse and comprehensive workforce based on merit and experience. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of sex, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and/or expression), pregnancy, race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion or similar philosophical beliefs, disability, marital and civil union status, age, genetic information, veteran status or any personal attribute or characteristic that is protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive compensation package with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k).
10 E. 53rd St., New York, NY 10022
Send cover letter and CV to email@example.com